Thursday, July 10, 2014

43 & Counting

No, I'm not having/adopting 39 more children. Don't get too excited. 

Today is my parents 43rd wedding anniversary, people. Forty-three years!!! How awesome is that?!?! Forty three years is definitely a longer time period than each of them were not married. 



I am so grateful for the legacy I have been given! Both sets of my grandparents were married to each other their whole lives. My dad's parent were married 60 years and my mom's parents were married for almost 56 years. Sidenote: Daniel's parents will have been married 49 years on July 30th (HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO MOM AND DAD RAKE TOO!) and Daniel's grandparents were married almost 59 years and almost 57 years! 

In a day and age when marriage and the family unit is under attack; when there is little to no difference in the divorce rate among christians and non christians; I am grateful to be in a generational line that is bucking the trend. I am grateful for parents and grandparents who aren't afraid of committment for the long haul. I am grateful to know that when my own marriage gets in a hard place I have lots of examples to look back at and be encouraged by. I am grateful for people who have been through it before me and won't be afraid to call me up and say "Work it out. Fight for your marriage. What you are doing is worth it!" 

I know marriage isn't always easy. I know my parents marriage has hard times, some VERY hard times, including the death of a child. But I also know they are committed to each other and committed to The Lord. I know that in the hard times they aren't afraid to ask for help from the authorities and people God has placed in their life. I know they may not like each other at one moment or another but they are commited to choose to LOVE one another regardless of how they feel. 

And so, on this day, July 10, 2014, my parents 43rd wedding anniversary, I feel like I am the one who is receiving the gift. The gift of a Godly example, of stability, of a secure foundation in my life, and the gift of finding joy in the journey, whether its easy to find or not! Thank you, Mom & Dad! And Happy Anniversary to you two crazy and adventurous lovebirds! ;) Love you both!


2 comments:

  1. Your parents are so cute!! And what a magnificent legacy you and Daniel have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! What a blessing!!! Well said, sis!

    ReplyDelete